Friday 29 November 2013

Salamin Salamin Sa Quiapo Bilhin! The verdict on Standard Optical



This is my final post on my Paterno Street, Quiapo adventure.
Finally, after 2 days my glasses was delivered via JRS:

Upon holding the glasses, it felt heavy (compared to my Fury). Wore it and as a few hours went on, I got used to it. Maganda ang fit niya, no complaints.
It's the 1st day of the glasses with me, so I'll post some updates in any case.

The verdict on Standard Optical:

Glasses- 4/5 it feels fragile and heavy to hold. So far its been good to me, I'm not complaining about having dizzy spells anymore. Ask the sales staff about the quality of the frame: Authentic (it's a rarity and it sounds too good to be true), class A, AA, AAA, made in China or replica. I guess sa materials nagkakatalo because my Fury eyewear is of the same style (full frame instead of half-frame), but it feels like you are holding or wearing nothing. In terms of quality and durability, that will have to wait in a year or 2.

Hygiene & Professionalism- 1/5 The assistant didn't wash her hands when she performed the eye exam nor cleaned the refractor. Another sales staff was eating her lunch in front of me as I sat for the eye chart exam.

Service- 2/5 The sales staff is accommodating when I first stepped inside the store, until I paid for the glasses and delivery fee. However, they failed to inform me when the item was picked up from their store. I even called twice to check with them, only to be told na tawagan ko na lang ang JRS.

Savings- 5/5 My replica Spyder frames + multi-coated lens  = P2,800
                                                               + delivery charge (P140) = 2940
Usually they have packages: frame + lens at 2k+ php. Magmamahal na lang sa type of lens: photochromic, toric, etc. Haggle or at least try. Overall I was able to save P1,555 which includes my expenses going to and from our house, meals and drinks too. If you want to save more money, I suggest you do your canvassing for the best deal.

My old eyewear costs 5k with lens, but its been sturdy and reliable for the last 3 years and counting. I just had to change the lenses annually. 
  
Total: 12/20 It's quite bad, the hygiene, service and professionalism must be improved. Hand washing and wiping of the equipment should be done after each use of client. For the sales staff that was having lunch in front of me while the eye exam was on-going, I suggest you move to the other room.
 
I know that Quiapo is not as posh as the Optical Shops in the malls, and people flock to the area to find eye wear at bargain prices and a plethora of styles. Kaya siguro ganun na lang ang level of service nila sa customers. Plus the area is known for its optical and dental supplies, so their main clients are Optical Shops in the malls, perhaps retail clients are secondary.
 
Authenticity of frames: I'm not sure but you can try the bigger shops like Optique Prima, Optical Look, Acebedo Optical or Abesamis Optical. When the price is too good to be true, it probably is. 

I read from another blog that they bought authentic frames from Optical City Manila. 2k+ each for a Christian Dior and same for a Ray Ban. These are with lenses, so think about the price. The frames itself will cost you 10k in the mall, and you find a similar one at Paterno that costs P2k. Magtaka na po kayo. It would be credible when it's 30-50% price difference. Common sense dictates that original manufacturers will need their income too.

No offense to those who purchase/wear fake items. Never pass it off as the real thing.

                                                                More photos:





2 comments:

  1. magkano kaya titanium frame tapos transition lens

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Jr.
    glad that you read my blog, and sorry for the late reply. For a price quote, you may call Standard Optical at 733 3765 or Optique Prima 733 3834, which is near Standard Optical. I'd suggest the latter since it's a bigger optical shop. Depending on your budget, P. Paterno and Quiapo are glasses haven kc so many styles to choose from and most of their frames are replica (sa Malls may authentic), and they also have their own (maybe China made) Transitions kaya laking difference compared to the malls. Kung hindi po kayo brand conscious, I think Quiapo is the place to be and esp. kung "made to order" un glasses niyo (mahal tlga sa malls). But do check out in malls for promos as well kc I saw Mizuno frames + multi-coated lens at 3,300. Puede pang tawad so it's less than 500 difference to the one I got in Quiapo. Considering the time travel and the area.

    My younger sister uses Essilor Transitions, and you will get an authenticity card along with it. It's been 3 yrs and only a small chip for damage. Still usable according to Ideal Vision Greenhills and they transferred the lens to another Oakley frame for free (gave 100 to the technician). Then we decided to have a spare frame made for her. Nike frames + Airwear lens (made to order) = 3600 +2700 = 6300

    It would be best for you to call first then go. Puede pang tumawad, kahit sa malls. Doc Edward of Ideal Vision GH was kind enough to grant us 20% disc. on the lens, Essilor Airwear and 10% on the frames. Canvas muna kayo. thanks!

    ReplyDelete