Sunday 19 October 2014

Review: My first SLR Camera- Nikon D5200 from Mayer Photo

This is a long overdue post, dating 7th July 2014, the day I bought my Nikon D5200 camera. Like some, I have held a point and shoot camera all my life, dating from film. My folks are not gadget people. Basta gumagana ng maayos, ok sa kanila.

In one of my previous posts, I have thought about getting a slightly advanced p & s (point & shoot) camera, since my Sony W300 of 5 years has broken down it seems (new mc corrupted, lost majority of my photos from Bohol (2013) and Dubai (2014) trip, and had to make do with a smartphone camera).

After repeatedly canvassing for a Canon G1X and Sony RX100 (they cost around 19k-21k cash) from Henry's Trinoma upon suggestion of my partner. Some friends suggested that I get my hands on a DSLR Camera. I have long avoided the temptation or trap for the ff. reasons:
  1. DSLR is expensive.
  2. The hobby is expensive and addictive. 
  3. I don't want to carry a heavy load, while traveling.   
Thank god for the internet, I did my research, consulted my partner and zeroed in on a few starter DSLR models. It was a three-way tie for: Nikon D5200, D3200, D3300. I picked the Nikon D5200 upon the prodding of Uncle Rick:

 
My Nikon D5200 with kit lens

So, Uncle Rick, a photo hobbyist himself accompanied my mom and I to Hidalgo Street, He primed us up with: bring cash, keep your outfit simple. Let's go on a Monday to keep crowds away.

Upon arrival, I started canvassing while they roamed around. This was a helpful tip, yet I didn't follow it. I started to ask from the ff shops (as of July 2014):

  1. i-Click outlet- Nikon D5200. 23,500php with 6 mos. service warranty. Ok silang kausap, but I don't know their aftersales service.
  2. Henry's- I talked to Henry himself and the wife. 24,700 last price with 6 mos. warranty. 
  3. Others- to order or no stock. 
  4. Mayer Photo- 24k php cash, 6 mos. parts, 1 yr. service warranty. Includes 8GB MC, camera bag, and Nikon backpack (as thrown in). Actually, I canvassed with Ramon and his daughter, and said I will return and compare with Henry's. I requested that I get a fresh stock inside the shop and not from the glass display. Fortunately, they have it and Ramon said "last price, mura na ito." I added a lens filter, Sunpak 52mm for 200php, tested the camera and thanked him with a smile. I'm telling you, I'm not leaving the place empty-handed.
 For those who want to get an upgrade to branded camera bag and/or memory card. Puede basta add lang kayo. 
 

To date, I've had no problems with the camera, test shots here. Overall, it is a great starter DSLR w/o breaking the bank. Read up, keep taking shots and evaluate them and/or with a seasoned photographer. Your gear is as good as you use it, master them.

Also, all my transactions with Mayer Photo are all smooth and positive. 
Staff is knowledgeable and friendly, marunong na sila mag-Hokkien sa presyo. Like some, I ask kung puede pang babaan. They would tell you at what price they can, and kung mababa na yan.

Hindi ko po naabutan si Sir Ramon in bad mood. Always ended my transaction with a thank you and smile. Never fails.

For the past few months, my partner and I have bought several accessories from Mayer:
  1. Larmor LCD Screen protector for Nikon D5200- 500php
  2. Hoya Lens filter for Nikon D5000- 600php
  3. Benro tripod for #2- 1.2k php Kausap namin si Auntie Helen, and dahil siguro Chinese kami, naging 950php.
  4. Phottix  3 in 1 cleaning kit (inc. lens pen, cloth, blower). 500php 
Highly recommend Mayer Photo- 5 Stars for price, quality and service! Basta huwag lang kayong makulit, tawad ng tawad tapos hindi kayo bibili.

Please refer here for a complete list of Hidalgo sellers.

No comments:

Post a Comment