Saturday 24 May 2014

What's your optical? I'm with Success Vision

Since 2nd year high school, I've been wearing specs and have gone through a lot of them. To dispose and still make them useful, I donated them.

Also, I've used contact lens at some point. Hence, I've been a client of numerous optical shops for several years: in the past, Ideal Vision Center SM Megamall for my glasses and EO Megamall for my contact lens (during my college years since my school is walking distance from SM Megamall).

From past to present: Success Vision Center in V-Mall, Greenhills for both glasses and contact lens, since it's a short drive away from home. From high school then working years.
For all three optical shops, I commend their budget-friendly prices, kind and knowledgeable staff. You know when you feel welcomed and even when you keep asking questions, hindi sila magsasawa sa iyo.

Past: Great deals on frames! Ideal Vision Center, SM Megamall





Past: Great deals on Contact lens! Executive Optical, SM Megamall

Past to present: Success Vision Center,
G/F V-Mall, Greenhills, .San Juan City. Great deals on both!
Recently, I've stopped wearing either or both for 2 years, due to the feeling that they weren't necessary. However last 29th Nov 2013, my adventurous spirit led me to P. Paterno, Quiapo in search of inexpensive eyewear, a Spyder replica frame with multi-coated lens + shipping, which I got this for almost 3k Php.

However, after 6 mos. of occasional use, I had a pimple behind my ear where the temples of the frame sit, and I wash the eyeglass as often as I could. Plus, I don't feel any difference viewing objects, the frequent headaches and eye fatigue (though less computer work and off to bed before 12mn), all led me back to Success Vision in Greenhills, after not showing up for 3 years.

The shop is owned by Dr. Ana Gonzales, a Chinese optometrist from  ICA & CEU, and 3 other assistants. One lady checked my record and said that my last check-up was in 2011 (I didn't tell her that I went to P. Paterno much to my dissatisfaction). Following that, she conducted a routine eye check-up and found out I retained the same grade of -.50 for both eyes (for 2010 and before that it was -1.00 for both). According to the assistant, I can just use my old one.

However, I told her I grew tired of wearing the same thing for some time now and would like to get new frames (pics to follow when I get them). A little back story below where my old Fury frames are:
Still very much in good condition, I gave to our helper, Gloria. Since has complained of blurred vision (she's 42 and has been with us for 7 years now). This will enable us to just pay for lens change @ 400 php for reading lens (+1.25 on both eyes). Hence, it saved me a great deal of money, rather than paying for new frames + lens. That's a tip for you guys! (I'll put up photos of our helper once we get her glasses).

With Success Vision, I'm very happy with the 2 frames (Ugo from Japan + lens = 3,500 and Fury from Italy at 5k w/ lens) and contact lens I bought from them previously. The frames have been sturdy and held up well all these years.

Initially it seems it's a big amount to shell out, but with only lens change (1k for multi-coated) on the next few years, it's been a worthy investment after all.
Although they are more expensive than Ideal and EO, which are optical chains, whereas Success Vision has 2 branches: Greenhills 721-1005 and Antipolo. I'm happy with their personalized service. Kilala nila ang mga customers nila.

This time around, since I'm in a tight budget (no thanks to getting burned with Standard Optical). I've selected an Oakley-inspired Rivolutione maroon frames for 3k with lens (made in Korea, according to another assistant).
Side view  

Front
Rating: 4/5 My only comment is to widen their selection of frames and budgets. It seems that they are on extreme ends. From the inexpensive ones (starting at 1800, made in Korea and China) to designer brands (Ray-Ban, Oakley at 10k above). I'm willing to give the Korean brand, Rivolutione a try and see how long it holds up.

What's your optical story?

No comments:

Post a Comment