Friday 21 November 2014

Review: BlackRapid Cross Shot


I came across the BlackRapid Cross-Shot during one of my basic photography sessions with Jo Avila. Found it as a solution to the neck pain the standard camera strap gives you. Luckily, Jo allowed me to try it on. As a bonus, all former students of Jo Avila get a discount card with all his sponsors [Photobomb- for all your camera gear], valid for one year.

Well, I did my research before deciding to buy. Finally, it was the perfect birthday gift for myself (dad paid for it actually) during a trip to Quiapo last October 2014. 

The SRP for the BlackRapid Cross Shot is 2150Php or $48 but it's on sale @ Watson Photo for... guess what? 1600Php or $36! What a bargain indeed!

To objectively review this, I tested the Cross-Shot on 2 events: The WTA Finals @ SG last Oct 21-27, 2014 and my cousin's wedding last 9 Nov 2014.

Pros:
  • Easily locks any SLR camera in place. Just twist the fastener tripod until it locks. 
  • An added safety feature is the BlackRapid Lockstar- ConnectR Swivel Hook Cover to prevent the hook from opening.
  • The shoulder rubber pad is made from sturdy material. It stays in place so your SLR camera is secure even when you move. The shoulder pad can be used on either side of the body and it won't bother with your clothes.
  • Two plastic fasteners on the Cross-Shot allows one to secure the length of the SLR; how much you want to swing it high or low in use or while walking.
Neutral:
  • The first time I used it, there was a tendency for the strap to twist whenever I would remove it from my body (ex. toilet breaks or my partner would use it). However, that seemed to be resolved during the wedding without doing anything special.
Cons: 
  • May not be for petite people. My gf who is 5'0" and weighs about 100 lbs says it's heavy.
  • Any broken or missing parts may prove to be more expensive than replacing the whole Cross Shot. I don't mind if its $10, but if its $20, I'm better of buying a brand new Cross Shot.
Final Verdict:
  • The BlackRapid Cross Shot is a great SLR strap, considering its quality, safety features, and price. Also, I can easily shoot all I want while walking and running, since it is secured. Definitely, this strap will remove your neck pain as the weight is distributed; similar to a messenger bag. However, petite persons may find it heavy. I suggest you go ahead and try it out yourself from a friend or go to your nearest camera store. Overall, I give it a 4.5 stars! 
 Seller's info:
  • Watson Photo is having a BlackRapid strap sale on some models @ 25% off. Location: 312 P.Gomez St., cor. R. Hidalgo St., Quiapo, Manila. Phone# 733-7697 and look for Jackson or Philip (the latter is the brother of Ramon, Mayer Photo). Call first to know which BlackRapid straps are on sale and which ones are in-stock. Cash transactions only.
  • To get to Carriedo, coming from Cubao. You can take a jeep or FX that says Quiapo. Or like me, I take a tricycle to LRT 2 and take the LRT 2 to Recto, switch to LRT 1 at Doroteo Jose stn, then get off at Carriedo. Go inside SM Carriedo and exit at the other side, where you will see Watson Photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment